NYC

Hello from NYC. Believe it or not, but this is week five since I headed out on this journey of making New York home. In one sense it kind of feels like I've been here forever, while at the same time I can hardly believe I'm actually here to stay. I miss my Spokane people on the daily and some moments miss the familiarity of my home - the South Hill sunsets at the bluff, the smell of my favorite candle burning in my bedroom, my parking spot at church, getting greeted by name at my favorite coffee spot, sitting in the kitchen chatting with my Mom, the never ending cycle of friends borrowing and returning socks, board games util 2am... you know, the familiar. I didn't realize those funny little and seemingly insignificant things weaved into my daily routines gave me so much security and comfort until I no longer had them surrounding me. Within the last month I have felt vulnerable, uncomfortable and unfamiliar more times than I can count. I have felt alone in a room full of people, lost in the crowds, dumb (thanks to public transportation), and have had moments of intimidation. These emotions and feelings are real. Maybe too real sometimes.

But that's just half the story. I am on the greatest adventure of my life! Yeah, full of countless unknowns, but those unknowns are soon to be my favorite places, new friends, doors of opportunity, greatest joys and stories of God sized miracles. It's been a year of letting go for me - my ideals and plans, my comfort zones, friendships and the most incredible community I was apart of, amazing jobs... so many good things, but life isn't for preserving.

"If you cling to your life you will lose it, and if you let your life go, you will save it." // Luke 17:33

I guess God is teaching me a few things. I'm learning to let go and be fully surrendered in my heart and not just in my actions to all God is saying and doing (which sometimes feels like nothing) regardless the fact it may not line up with my idea of my perfect life. In a time where I am not around many people, recognition and affirmation for the things I'm doing in my life can only come from God (and my Mom. haha! I literally talk to her every day). I can't not trust God with everything in me. I can't lean on my own understanding. I can't rely on familiar things. I have to lean into His strength. I have to receive His perspective. I need His new mercies every day. I have to rely on Him for friendship. I have to trust Him for the next steps ahead of me. God is the best story teller of all time (and praise Him for that because my friends will testify that I've never been good at that), and He's writing something special in this season. I know that this is where I am supposed to be, therefore it is the best place I can be.

I have a whole new bundle of blessings here - ones I didn't have back home. Each day I am learning to embrace them more fully. Learning how to be fully surrendered to the Holy Spirit outside of a worship experience or time of prayer. The true fruit of the spirit. Walking in joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control in the whirlwind of life (Gal 5:22-25). Let it be in me.

It's an exciting journey we are each on, both wonderful in different ways because by golly, God is writing an amazing story across the earth. I pray you find the treasures of your season and the joy of serving the Lord more fully for today. Yeah, Easter was two days ago, but I'm still celebrating because the resurrection of Christ is still alive today. For you and for me.


Take a glimpse of my NYC life before you go:


The Brooklyn Piers, one of my favorite places to view Manhattan.

Wandering the streets...it's what I do when I go to the city + its free 

It's an honor and joy to do life with them. You guys, they are the real deal.

Total tourist place, but I'll take any of you visitors here cause it is one of my favorite things

us two: a party you can't stop


life with kids, also a party you can't stop

This city has ALL the views everywhere! 

There are SO MANY brunch and coffee spots here you guys. I haven't re-visited any of them yet cause there's just too many to try.

We're besties + I got to help throw a party to celebrate her 1st birthday!



That's all I got for now. 

Now let's go tend our gardens, wherever we are!









Comments

Popular Posts